At the beginning of August 2019, Kate and I went away on a joint retreat in our capacity as Directors of Next Leadership.
We sensed that we had a specific mandate from God to review and refocus our commitments and activities for 2020 and the years to follow. With the successful launch of Role Model Leadership Academy in Uganda earlier this year, increasing demands for mentoring and coaching, and ministry opportunities opening up for us overseas, we wanted to be clear that we were still on track with God’s agenda. However, we thought we had a pretty good idea of what was in store for us… but God took us completely by surprise (I’m resisting the words, ‘as usual’!) and we want to share something of what we heard from heaven with you.
Firstly, we realised that 2020 marks the 10th anniversary of the publication of 7 Deadly Sins of Women in Leadership! Some of you are already aware that the audiobook is due out later this month (we’ll let you know the exact date soon), so celebrations are definitely in order all round!
As we were considering this, we felt a strong prompting to mark this anniversary with what can only be described, as an audacious God-inspired vision! However, in a slightly comical ‘7 Deadly Sins’ moment of self-doubt(!), we were overcome by uncertainty regarding whether we had genuinely heard from God or had simply had too much cheese the night before! When we returned home, I was reminded of a text message, left by a friend a few weeks earlier that I’d totally forgotten about in all the busyness. I showed it to Kate. Amazingly, it confirmed what we’d been wrestling with on our retreat. Part of the text read:
There is so much more God wants to do with this material He has given you both… God wants you to continue to be bold and keep going… This message is neither old nor stale but has the breath of God in it which brings freedom and release… This message hasn’t reached all those He has planned for it to reach yet…
That’s when we realised, we had heard correctly, that there is still so much work to do amongst women leaders, many of whom are still waiting to:
- Discover their purpose and potential
- Recover a sense of vision and mission
- Pioneer a new way of doing things
- Develop and strengthen their leadership abilities for home, work, ministry and wherever they happen to be in the world
- Build deep and transformative friendships across spheres and sectors with like-minded women
- Encounter God on their journey toward more effective leadership
We want to celebrate our anniversary by embracing the audacious and God-inspired 10th anniversary goal! And we are inviting you to join us, as we seek to:
- Deliver 10 ‘She Rises’* programmes (addressing the 7DS) over the next 2 years with 10 Host partners, in 10 locations/networks. Why not partner with us by registering your personal interest or registering on behalf of your network/organisation/Church. Include the region or location you’d ideally like to see ‘She Rises’ hosted email@example.com
- Release as many copies of the book as possible into the hands of those who could benefit, by buying books for your family, friends and colleagues or sponsoring books for women unable to purchase copies for themselves. Why not order them for your conference!
- Impact and empower 1 million women through the 7DS material over the next 5 years
- Save money on every order of 10 books, now available at £100 (reduced from £14.99 to £10 each), a saving of nearly £50 (excluding p&p)! Orders for less than 10 books will still benefit from our usual discounted price of £12.50 when ordered directly from us. Contact us now with your order at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Encourage women leaders to set up ‘She Rises’* book clubs (we’re aiming for 100!) using our free online book club material http://www.nextleadership.org/book-club/
- Promote our new audiobook for those who love to listen! (soon available on Amazon)
Become a catalyst by initiating a chain reaction within your networks and:
- Pray for us as we take this forward!
- Share this news on 10 social media platforms within your reach (if there aren’t this many in existence, simply post to as many as you have access to!)
- Forward this news to 10 friends
- Encourage 10 female colleagues/friends to invest in the book or audio book for themselves (or even better, do it for them)
- Inspire 10 others to join you in a ‘She Rises’* book club of your own!
Let us know what you are doing!
We firmly believe that the best years are still to come for women’s leadership, … and we would love, 7 Deadly Sins of Women in Leadership to be part of that ground-breaking journey!
* ‘She Rises’, is the new name for our programme directly addressing 7 Deadly Sins of Women in Leadership. It not only contains additional material, but also reflects the expectations, inspiration and aspirations of women leaders everywhere.
(* We’ll share the journey towards the name change soon.)
Rev Cham Kaur-Mann has nearly 20 years leadership experience, in the church, charity and voluntary sectors and is a mentor and coach to leaders. She is the first (and currently only) Asian woman minister within the Baptist Union of Great Britain.
Cham is Co-Director of Next Leadership and also works with the Cinnamon Network as the Trainers’ Team Manager, delivering leadership training across the UK.
She is a motivational speaker with a unique and compelling ability to ‘story a story’. Cham mentors, coaches and supports leaders from a variety of sectors. She is author of ‘Images of Jesus’ and ‘Are there traditional “women’s ministries”?’
Cham is a Certified Stakeholder Centered Coach.